HBO "the Wire" - Google News Feed

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ed Burns, writer and producer of the Wire Interview

Recently a friend and I would always end our conversations about the Wire with, "So is Ed Burns the same Ed Burns? That actor guy who made that "Brothers" something movie?" I really wasn't sure. Maybe Ed Burns the actor had hidden depth? No offense to Burns the kind of famous actor but...well, it's the Wire! After having the same conversation a few times, my friend finally looked it up and no, he's not. He's actually an ex-cop and ex-Baltimore city teacher. And HBO has an interview online, talking about season four.

HBO
After 20 years as a cop you became a teacher. How did that come about?


BURNS
After I retired from the Police Department, Dave [Simon] and I wrote The Corner. I'm just a natural loser, so I decided it would be fun to teach in an inner-city school, because that's the kind of world I like. And that's pretty much the amount of thought I gave it until I walked into the room. (click on text for rest of the interview)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks mr. burns. thank you for pouring so much effort and thought into teaching the truth. this show is an evolution in the marriage between screenwriting and social commentary, representing the finest aspects of both worlds. I wouldn't expect the academy nor too many others to actually get it, but please understand that we will not forget what you've put into this.

Unknown said...

this is an extraordinary series.

i watched a few episodes and expected to get a predictable mix of ingredients which are so often found in american cop shows, but this program is at a completely different level.

thank you for portraying some glimpses of real life and the complex issues we face as a society, without dummying it down for the soapy crowd.